Welcome to this year’s Turtle Festival. This two-days will be one of the most memorable in your life.
From hatching to touching the sea, we were together in this unforgettable moments; I will always remember you, my friend!
Thank you for sharing your love with us!
Witnessing a baby turtle coming out of the egg and then finding its way to the sea by those baby steps, is an unforgettable moment.
Velas is an eco-village in the Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra. Velas beach is well known for its beaches which reflect nature in its best preserved and pristine form. Velas is also one of the popular breeding sites of Olive Ridley Turtle. Velas beach accounts for 40% of sea turtle’s nests along Maharashtra’s coast. It is not only home to turtles but also to a myriad of bird species including the white-bellied sea eagle, white-backed vulture and Indian Swiftlet.
Besides Velas beach, there are several other tourist attractions at Velas including the historic Bankot Fort, the Harihareshwar temple.
Accommodation in a local homestay will truly add a warm touch to the experience. It gives you a feel of home away from home.
2. The tour dates have been planned after precise calculation of probable hatching dates and as per the information provided by researchers & volunteers at Velas however, turtle sightings are a natural phenomenon and is a matter of luck.
3. Considering safety and security measures, it is strictly not permitted to swim at Velas beach.
4. Moreover, we expect our travellers to take this a complete ecotourism experience, enjoy & explore every bit of the tour and think beyond “just sightings”. There is a lot to enjoy on this short tour so let’s be travellers, not tourists.
5. As it is totally eco-tour, we provide accommodation on a homestay sharing basis. Food is hygienic and prepared in local spices by our hosts at Velas village, Ratnagiri.
Velas Turtle Festival is not just about little turtles hatching season and the beautiful beaches, there something more to it. Olive Ridley Turtles are one of the more endangered species of turtle.
An NGO named “Sahyadri Nisarga Mitra” started the conservation and now the gram-panchayat and villager’s committee has taken over the responsibility to conserve Olive Ridley Turtles by providing protection to their eggs.
Only female turtles will come back to the breeding site for laying their eggs. Male turtles will never come back to the beach again.
Female turtles will visit the shore during the late evening, make a pit on the sandy beach, lay the eggs in the pit, cover it up with her fins and then leave back to sea, to never come back.
22:00 – Reporting to the SG team.
22:59 – Travel to the base village from Pune.
05:30 – Reach in Velas Eco-village.
– Check-in at a respective homestay.
06:00 – Visit Velas beach for watching the hatching process.
08:00 – Freshen up. Breakfast & tea.
09:00 – Visit Bankot fort. Explore.
11:00 – Free time in Velas.
13:00 – Have a Lunch.
14:30 – Free time.
17:00 – Visit beach for turtle hatching.
– Enjoy a beautiful sunset.
18:30 – Information about the hatching process.
20:00 – Enjoy authentic Konkani food at dinner.
22:00 – Day stumps.
Konkani Homestay – Separate Hall for Males & Females
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (Limited: Veg. / Non-Veg.)
06:00 – Wake-up call. Freshen up.
06:30 – Visit a beach for the last sighting of the trip.
08:00 – Come back & have breakfast.
09:00 – Leave for Harihareshwar.
– Our bus will be transferred from one district to another in a jetty via sea route.
10:30 – Explore Harihareshwar temple & beach.
12:30 – Lunch at Harihareshwar. (Self-paid)
14:30 – Travel to Pune.
20:00 – Reach Pune with happy memories.
Shivajinagar > Swargate > Katraj > Mahad > Velas (Base)
22:00 – Shivajinagar
22:30 – Swargate
22:59 – Katraj
Please come 15 minutes before at your pickup point to avoid getting late.